- We opened a new 300 acre park on the Potomac River with the dedication for White's Ford Regional Park.
- We entered long term leases with both the City of Falls Church, and Fairfax County for a civil rights historic site called Tinner Hill. Now most of the development work has been done and we will be cutting a ribbon on this new park on January 10th.
- We opened a W&OD - Meadowlark Connector Trail that makes a wonderful linkage between two of our best known parks.
- We broke ground on the new Jean R. Packard Occoquan Center that will be built at Occoquan Regional Park.
- Just last month we received 4 awards from the Virginia Recreation and Parks Society (VRPS). One for the top volunteer in the state: Brian Knapp, our Board Chairman; One for the top professional in the state: Blythe Russian, our Superintendent of Operations; One was an award for our marketing efforts for the Atrium at Meadowlark; And one was for MORE (Mid-Atlantic Off Road Enthusiasts) the mountain bike group that has been critical to the development of the Fountainhead Mountain Bike Trail.
- Our Board had their annual all day retreat at Hemlock Overlook Regional Park and enacted a number of forward thinking policies including changes to our compensation system that puts a strong focus on setting and achieving individual goals that tie to the larger organizational goals.
- In addition to the individual performance goals for employees, all staff have been engaged in a comprehensive and on-going customer service initiative that was launch this year.
- Laura Grape join our Board representing Fairfax County.
- Several great event were held celebrating the Korean Bell Garden at Meadowlark.
- We hosted a W&OD summit focused on trail safety, and are continuing to implement the numerous recommendations that came out of that effort.
- We were able to engage more children in outdoors activities through a number of avenues including grants for school groups to go to Hemlock Overlook, and a significant expansion in all of our summer camp programs this year. The grants were donated by our Foundation.
- Our two light shows have seen their best season ever due to new features, expanded marketing, and good winter weather.
- Our fall festival at Temple Hall out performed previous years.
- Our Fiscal year that ended on June 30, 2014 was our best on record.
- Our retirement plan which struggled during the recession, as did most investments, has recovered well in 2014.
- We adopted our new brand name "NOVA Parks."
- And in the first days of 2015 we will sign an option on a property that will be another new park in the months and years ahead!
I know many more good things will happen in 2015!
|Young NOVA Parks fan enjoyed the day|
|Summer Camp Programs Expand|
|Dedication at White's Ford Regional Park|
|Falls Church City Council at Tinner Hill Signing|
|W&OD - Meadowlark Connector Trail Dedication|